Latest Bloggers

The Editor
17 post(s)

The Editor has not set their biography yet

Danny Antalan
1 post(s)

Danny Antalan has not set their biography yet

Super User
8 post(s)
Super User has not set their biography yet

Facebook Like


Iti napalabas nga Election 2013 intay binutusan dagiti kayat tayo nga mangituray kadatayo iti unos ti tallo nga tawen, dagitoy garud dagiti barbaro nga opisyales nga intay innikan ti talek ken mangnamnama nga mangited dur-as ti ili a Sugpon.

 

Historical accounts of Domesdes, Abanse and Parao families, original settlers from Tamurong now part of Caoayan, Sugpon were identified as the first inhabitants of Danac. Long time ago, barangay Pangotan was once a wild forest filled with wildlife. According to story, there were three hunters who reached the place in search of wild pigs and deer.

They were enchanted by its rippling brooks and beautiful surroundings and that they decided to settle in that place. They brought their families to the place and began clearing the area until they were able to form rice paddies. After several years, the place became a barrio due to its growing population under the leadership of a man by name “Lakay Lawaan”.

Towards the 18th century and into the first decade of the 1880s, people from Mankayan and Buguias who wanted to escape their enemy migrated to Bulisay. From there, some went to as far as Kibungan. Gamasi went to Sugpon, Ilocos Sur while Tomas Sangao went to Caoayan.

Mythical Origin

Our forefathers were filled with satisfaction because of its bounties. Its conduciveness for human habitation attracted some people from Benguet area and other suburbs to come and enjoy the fragrance and beauty of the place.

As transmitted thru generations, the origin of our town’s name is historic, yet it reflects our distinct trait and characteristic as people of the place. From the recollections of our elders, the present town was once a wilderness, a rich hunting ground for wild pigs, deer, monkeys, birds and other wildlife. Fruits and root crops of different varieties also bound. These endowments boosted the existence of tribesmen residing in the outskirts of the area for years. However, as times passed by, the natural resources of the area grew scarce that the tribesmen had to go deeper into the wilds in search for food for their continuous survival.

One sunny day in a mossy wide plane just where the municipal hall now stands, the Kankanaey tribe headed by Apo Liccud and the Bago tribe headed by Apo Gutob had a misunderstanding as to the rightful owner of the animal killed by their dogs. Nevertheless, as wise chieftains, they had finally settled their dispute amicably. Right then and there, the rulers pronounced “mansugpon tako” , which means that they will divide and share the hunt equally. Such brief but vivid account of the elders of the locality spells the simplicity of highly commended civilization a rational being aspires for. The name Sugpon does not only represent a physical dot in the map of Ilocos Sur but also truly connotes peace and prosperity.

It's Creation as a Municipality

1890 - Originally part of Commandancia Politico Militar de Amburayan created between Benguet and Ilocos with Alilem as capital town.

1907 - By virtue of RA 1646 by the Philippine Commission, all sub – provinces of Amburayan, Amburayan Lepanto and Benguet were transferred to Ilocos Sur and La Union.

1920 - Sugpon became part of the 2nd congressional district of Ilocos Sur.

1978 - Classified as 6th class municipality

The Land Area

The municipality of Sugpon comprises an estimated land area of 182.80 square kilometres as per LC Maps of 1936, and with population of 3,811 as the last actual survey in May 2010. (Land disputes rendered the land area down to 66.51M sq.meters as per Cadastral Survey approved in 1992, of which negotiations for the settlement of said disputes with the Province of Benguet are still underway.

As surveyed by the Land Management Service (LMS), Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), Region I, the municipality used to have a total land area of 17,408 hectares, accounting for 6.7% of the 275,958 hectares provincial land area. Originally, it covered 18,208 hectares as per LC Map of 1936 thereby making it one of the biggest towns of Ilocos Sur, however, due to the seemingly non – ending boundary dispute between the town and some of its southern counterparts since the late 1940’s, Sugpon’s right to its physical domain up to this time, has not yet been established. To date, the latest total land area of the locality as per Cadastral Survey 1063 – D, which was approved in 1992, is reduced to 7,082.176 hectares. The barangays of Banga, Caoayan, Licungan, and Danac are affected by the land dispute with adjacent towns of Bakun and Kibungan Benguet.

At present the municipality has a total population of 3,811 as of May 2010 (Actual Survey) and with a total households of 854 (Actual Survey) .It is composed of 6 barangays.

The six barangays of this municipality are the following:

Geographical Location

Sugpon lies at the southernmost part of Ilocos Sur. It stretches out from approximately 120° 30.75’ to 120° 30 longitudes and from 16° 40.25 to 16° 50.75 latitude. It is bounded on the North by the municipality of Alilem, Ilocos Sur, on the South by the municipalities of Kibungan, Benguet and San Gabriel, La Union. It is 14 kilometers away from the nearest market center and national highway, with Bangar, La Union as its main outlet.

The other gateway is Sudipen, La Union of which the road via Alilem, Ilocos Sur following the course of Amburayan River. However such road network is only passable during the dry season and jeepneys are required to have dual operated system to be able to overcome the loose portions of the riverbed. It is around 128 kilometers away from Vigan City, the capital town of Ilocos Sur, 56 kilometers away from San Fernando City, La Union and around 326 kilometers away from Manila.

Sugpon is the southernmost town of the province of Ilocos Sur. In fact, it is one of the biggest towns of the province in terms of its original land area. Generally, the municipality is laid upon a wild and rugged territory where verdant hills and mountains abound, added to the lustre and beauty of the numerous creeks and streams that serve as tributaries of the mighty and legendary Amburayan River. On the North, the municipality is bounded by Alilem, Ilocos Sur; on the East by Bakun and Kibungan, Benguet; on the South by Kibungan, Benguet; and on the West by Santol and Sudipen, La Union in which the Amburayan River acts as a natural barrier between said municipalities.

The municipality is composed of six (6) barangays, namely: Poblacion – Balbalayang , Banga, Caoayan, Danac, Licungan, Pangotan. Within these barangays are sitios named Toyeng, Nagawa, Pacaoan, Sawangan, Calipayan as the most prominent ones. In the vast expense of the interior of Sugpon are disputes on territorial boundaries between Sugpon and the municipalities of Bakun and Kibungan, Benguet. The contested areas since the late 1940s are Culliang, Culili, Dalipey, Badeo, Pilipilid, Lanipeo and Nagawa.

Sugpon was then a part of the Old Mountain Province and was one among the municipalities and municipal districts composing the Amburayan Congressional District. It became part of Ilocos Sur sometime in 1920 when the provinces in the North were reorganized. It was then reclassified as 6th class municipality in 1978. (Now as 5th class municipality) The early inhabitants were of heterogenous groups; Ilocano – Christians from the low lands and some ethnic tribes like the Kankanaeys, Igorots, Tingguians and others. These groups of people lived together in peace and harmony resulting to intermarriages. This gave way to the birth of the Bago tribe, meaning “Newly Christianized”, speaking the Iloko dialect. However, in all the barangays with the exception of Poblacion, residents speak an exotic mixture of Ilocano – Kankanaey and practice similarly mixed culture of the low and the high lands.

The dominant religions are Roman Catholic, United Church of Christ in the Philippines, and Wesleyan Church. The native dance is the Sayaw and Sadong for the Kankanaey and Iddumdum and the Puggapog for the Bago. The festivities are the Kañao, Bagat and the annual town fiesta. Some of the artifacts remaining today are the old jars of Chinese arts, the blue and white ceramic, wooden household wares, the Gong, Gansa and Solibao, most commonly found in possession of descendants of elders or panglakayen.

Sugpon is primarily an agricultural community and the people are small farm – owner – cultivators whose crops are rice, corn, tobacco, legumes, camote, and other rootcrops. The farmers also engaged in hog, chicken, goat, cattle raising and now have diversified into mango and banana production.